Just over eight months ago I discovered I LOVE running. I love the way it makes me feel; happy, sore, and at times infinite. Somedays I hit the pavement, start running and I feel like I could go forever. But, trust me, this does not happen every day. Some days I am sluggish, slow and struggle to complete my run.
The one thing I started to notice that kept me running further and feeling better, was music. A good playlist is an absolute game changer. Before you know it, you will be zoned in on the beat or the lyrics and those minutes and kilometres start to fly by.
There is music for every mood, every activity, every single thing you do and feel. Running is no exception to this. Here are a few of my favourite running songs to help you feel energetic and ready to face the road ahead of you!
1. “Breakin’ Dishes” – Rihanna
2. “Runaway (U & I)” – Galantis
3. “Arrow in the Dark” ft. Anjulie – Cash Cash
4. “Till I Collapse” – Eminem
5. “Find Me” Ft. Birdy – Sigma
6. “We be Burning” – Sean Paul
7. “Hype” – Dizzee Rascal & Calvin Harris
8. “Where Are Ü Now” ft. Justin Bieber – Skrillex and Diplo
9. “No Church in the Wild” – Jay Z & Kayne
10. “Side To Side” – Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj (Beau Collins Remix)
11. “Spectrum” (Say My Name) – Florence + The Machine (Calvin Harris remix)
12. “Lean On” ft. MØ – Major Lazer & DJ Snake
13. “Intoxicated” – Martin Solveig & GTA
14. “Let Me Love You” ft. Justin Bieber (Tom Westy Remix) – DJ Snake
15.”Turn Up the Music” – Chris Brown
I could sit here all day and list out the many benefits of running and staying physically active. But most of us already know them. The hard part is taking those thoughts and ideas that we have and turning them into actions. Telling yourself to get up off the couch, telling yourself that you aren’t done yet, telling yourself that you don’t get to rest yet.
Staying physically active relies so much on your mental capacity. When your muscles start to ache and your lungs are burning, it’s up to your mind to tell yourself to keep going.
IT’S NOT YOUR BODY THAT DETERMINES HOW FAR YOU CAN GO, IT’S THAT VOICE IN YOUR HEAD AND WHETHER OR NOT IT’S TELLING YOU “YOU CAN’T” OR “YOU CAN“.
For me this is where music comes into play. It helps ease and distract my mind. It’s that voice telling me a story, and pulling my focus inwards, preventing me from noticing just how much my body is trying to tell me to stop. When it comes to running, music is my best friend.
These 15 songs have kept me running harder and longer, and I hope they do the same for you!